Saturday, September 23, 2006

Get a Life! Or a Blog...

Get a Life was one of the funniest shows you've never seen. It ran on Fox for all of two years before getting cancelled but not before cementing Chris Elliot as a comedic genius in the mind of one young Aaron Sowd. So you can imagine my excitement when I got hired to do a promo poster for The Swinger, Chris Elliot's short film for Showtime. Chris Elliott plays a world famous minature golf champion and Bob Costas and Maury Povich are interviewed in this mockumetary. Costas' best line: "Sure, Tiger Woods is great, but has he ever won a free game?" It's directed by Mark Feldstein and Brad Roth, the guys behind Stun Creative. They wanted to do the poster in a comic book style and parody the Superman Returns posters since the title was going to be The Swinger Returns: Hmmm... Chris Elliot, comic books and Superman? Would I be interested? Hells yeah!

So here's the poster, in six easy steps. First the thumbnail, just a small quick sketch to get the concept approved. Chris is looking heroic in the Superman pose, holding his golf club and flying above the earth which I made into a giant golf ball: Once the basic thumbnail concept was approved, I did a tighter pencil sketch, working on getting the Chris Elliot likeness correct: When the pencils were approved I went to inks using a black Pentel marker and .01 and .005 Pigma pens. The Pental works like a nib and dries twice as fast which is perfect for advertising gigs when time is of the essence: Then I scanned in the inked Chris Elliot figure and colored him in Photoshop: The golf ball was created in 3-D and composited in Photoshop with the glows and stars. I know some people consider it cheesy, but I can't resist a good lens flare: Then the logos, tag line and text were dropped in to create the final poster. Ta-daa! Can you believe I actually get paid to do this stuff? I'm the luckiest guy in the world...

4 comments:

JasonMoore said...

How do even get considered for gigs like this? Is the pay for this type of work pretty good compared to lets say doing an entire 32 page comic book? lol You have a hollywood agent or something? :) Very VERY cool!

Aaron Sowd said...

1. I don't know, move to LA?
2. Yes.
3. Yes, Famous Frames.

http://www.famousframes.com/

Thanks, Jason!

antonio said...

hahahah that is what I need an agent!!!

Beautiful work Aaron!!

JESUS ANTONIO
And about Chris Elliot I love his work when He is in sitcoms or Indy movies!!

Aaron Sowd said...

Thanks Jesus! You're right, Chris Elliot is brilliant in just about everything he does.