Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hero Time Part 5: New Avengers #1 Sketch Cover

I'm a bad blogger. Blogs should be updated in a timely manner, but my time has been short and my manners non-existent! So I'm sorry about that (see, my manners are coming back already, I just apologized!). I should have thrown this up sooner, since the auction has come and gone, but the good news is that the final bid was over $450.00, thanks to everyone who took the time to place a bid! It all went to my favorite charity, The Hero Initiative. Marvel Comics printed 100 blank-covered copies, and Hero had 100 stellar artists (and me) do original New Avengers covers on the special edition books which were auctioned off to benefit Hero and needy comic book artists, the late, great Gene Colan among them.You can see them all here.
When I was a kid, one of the first back issues I ever saved up and bought at a comic con was Giant-Size X-Men #1. I paid $20 for it, which was a lot for a little kid like me at the time! The iconic Gil Kane cover is forever seared into my mind, and since New Avengers #1 centers around introducing a new team, that was all the justification I needed to swipe-- er, "pay homage to" the late, great Gil Kane!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

AWESOME!

Jimmy T said...

NICE!!